STEP-BY-STEP ON HOW TO APPLY FOR EXCHANGE STUDIES
1. Search for available universities
Which universities that are open to apply for changes from year to year, and the selection of available universities is fully updated in LUSEM’s search tool – Where can I go? when the application opens. Here you can see what partner universities are open to your programme. You can filter your options by country, subject area, year, period and mobility type. Make sure to reset your filter before you do a new search with different options.
The links in the search tool will direct you into SoleMove, Lund University’s application system for different kinds of mobility, where you can find more info and links regarding courses, language requirements and other things of relevance for the university in question. You can learn a lot about each university by reading their fact sheet. Remember to check if there are any course restrictions or grade requirements.
In order to go back to your search results, do not use the “Back to results” button on the top of the page, since this will lead you to the SoleMove search function, which we do not recommend you use. Instead, use your browser arrow to go back to LUSEM's search tool in order to see what partner universities are available to your programme.
2. Research the countries you want to apply for
Research the countries that you want to apply for to get information about:
- potential entry regulations
- safety conditions
- legislation or local customs which may affect aspects of your identity.
Travel advice and other useful information is often provided online by local embassies. Swedish embassies publish travel information on Sweden Abroad.
3. Prepare your application
Creating a good application increases your chances of being nominated for an exchange seat. The "Skapa din utbytesansökan" playlist contains four videos with tips on how to succeed with four important steps in your application: General eligibility requirements, Statement of Purpose, Study Plan and CV. The films in this series were produced by Lund University's exchange ambassadors. English subtitles are available under Settings - Subtitles - Auto-translate.
- For your application to be complete it needs to contain at least the following documents:
- Statement of Purpose (use LUSEM's template below)
- Study plan
- Individual study plan (if applicable)
- Enclosures should be in PDF-format. We can not open documents sent in Pages (.pages) format.
- LUSEM do not require that you include a Ladok transcript of your studies at Lund University in your application, as this will be retrieved by us once the application round has closed.
- If you want to know more about the supporting documents you can watch this playlist on Lund University's Youtube.
We do not conduct any personal interviews so anything you want us to consider must be included in your Statement of Purpose. Your Statement of Purpose must be written in English. You only have to submit one Statement of Purpose, not one per university you are applying for.
Watch the clip about the Statement of Purpose here (please note that the limit of maximum one page does not apply for LUSEM students, as you are required to use the template above instead).
A study plan is a simple list of the courses you would want to study at each university. The study plan is preliminary and your courses will likely change during the university’s application process. Preferably include the course code (if available), course title and the number of credits at the host university. The total number of credits for all courses must correspond to 30 credits in Lund. Information about the number of credits required at each university can be found in SoleMove. You do not need look at the schedule at this stage of your application.
Bachelor's students only
Complete planning of the courses to be included in your degree. This only applies to students with an individual study plan or students not admitted to a study programme. This document does not need to be written in English.
All documents should be compiled into one PDF document and uploaded in your application.
- Work qualifications/association experience and possible letter of recommendation if mentioned in your CV (letters in Swedish are also accepted).
- Study results from international and other Swedish higher education institutions (i.e. courses not taken at Lund University).
If you do not fulfill the application requirements, you have the possibility to apply for an exemption. You must submit the following to your application in SoleMove:
- An explanation: There is no standard form for applying for exemption. Attach a document to your application in SoleMove stating what requirement you do not currently meet and an explanation of the circumstances that you believe entitle you to an exemption.
- Relevant enclosures: Along with your application for an exemption, attach documentation of the special circumstances you describe in the application. This could be a medical certificate for example.
Inform the International Office that you are applying for an exemption by sending an e-mail to email@example.com before the application deadline.
Decisions are made by the International Office (if relevant, together with representatives from your study programme) on a case-by-case basis.
Exemptions are generally only given if exceptional circumstances apply, i.e. circumstances which are out of the control of the student.
4. Create you application in SoleMove
Follow the application instructions and also note the specific guidelines for LUSEM students:
Number 2, second part, (create your application form)
Make sure to choose the correct application period:
- LUSEM - Exchange places for Bachelor's students, 2024/2025
- LUSEM - Tuition-based Mobility at UC Berkeley, 2024/2025
Number 3 (enter your personal details)
Select your Faculty from the list. You should choose School of Economics and Management (page 2)
Number 5 (complete the information about your studies at Lund University)
It’s important that you state the name of the programme and the EU subject area at home according to the list below:
EU subject area
|BSc Economy and Society||031|
|BSc International Business||0410|
|Human Resources kandidatprogram||04|
|Praktisk filosofi, politik och ekonomi||0311|
|MSc Accounting and Finance||0410|
|MSc Data Analytics and Business Economics||0311|
|MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation||0410|
MSc European and International Trade and Tax Law
|MSc Information Systems||0610|
|MSc International Marketing and Brand Management||0410|
|MSc International Strategic Management||0410|
|MSc in Management||0410|
|MSc Managing People, Knowledge and Change||0410|
- I have read through and fulfill the programme specific requirements to be eligible to apply.
- I have only applied for universities that are listed as available to my programme (and during the correct semester) in the search tool "Where can I go?".
- I have read through and am aware of any specific requirements of the partner universities I am applying for.
- I have checked the travel information for every country that I want to apply for - including entry requirements, safety conditions and local customs which may affect my stay.
- I have prepared a Statement of Purpose in English according to the template found on the website.
- I have prepared a CV in English.
- I have prepared a study plan for all the universities I am applying for according to the example found on the website. I have made sure that each university I am applying for offers relevant courses for my program and study interest.
- If I am not following the official study structure of my programme I have uploaded an individual study plan in my application.
- I have created an application in SoleMove and have followed this application guide to ensure that I have completed the application in a correct way.
- I have written my personal number, the name of my study program, EU subject area, and language knowledge according to the format and list given in this guide.
- I have made sure that the results of all courses that I want to be considered in my application have been graded and added to Ladok by the application deadline.