The academic year at Lund University is divided into two semesters each lasting 20 weeks. Examination periods are included in the semester periods.
Academic year 2018/19
- Autumn semester 2018: Wednesday 29 August - Sunday 20 January 2019
- Spring semester 2019: Wednesday 16 January - Sunday 9 June
Arrival Days for international students
- Arrival Day for the autumn semester 2018 is 20 August
- Arrival Day for the spring semester 2019 is 15 January
What about holidays?
There is no official break in the academic calendar for Christmas or Easter, however in practice there is usually a break over Christmas and New Year's Eve as well as over the Easter period, including the public holiday days.
Please check with the programme coordinator to confirm when classes and assignments pause, before making any major plans or travel arrangements.
Public Holidays 2018
- New Year's Day (Nyårsdagen): 1 January
- Epiphany (Trettondagen): 6 January
- Good Friday (Långfredagen): 30 March
- Easter Sunday (Påskdagen): 1 April
- Easter Monday (Annandag påsk): 2 April
- Walpurgis Night (Valborgsmässoafton): 30 April
- Labour Day (Första maj): 1 May
- Ascension Day (Kristi himmelsfärds dag): 10 May
- Sweden's National Day: 6 June
- Midsummer Eve (Midsommarafton): 22 June
- Midsummer Day (Midsommardagen): 23 June
- All Saints' Day (Alla Helgons Dag): 3 November
- Christmas Eve (Julafton): 24 December
- Christmas Day (Juldagen): 25 December
- Boxing Day (Annandagen): 26 December
- New Year's Eve (Nyårsafton): 31 December